Monday, April 20, 2009

I keep thinking of this lady

If you have been living in a cave for the last couple of weeks (or have a life) you might not have seen the number one You Tube video. Believe me, it is worth the 3 minutes to watch it - click here.

I believe the reason it is on top is because it reminds us of ourselves. We know we have something wonderful to offer the world, if only people wouldn't judge us before they get to know our inner strengths and talents.

Remember the store clerks in the movie Pretty Woman? Julia Robert's character has a lot of money to spend but was dressed as a hooker - so they ignore her - Big Mistake.
I think of the person that doesn't get a job because they are fat or not as "polished" or disabled, has tattoos ,or is just different than the interviewer thinks they should look.

But the video is successful because we also see ourselves rolling our eyes and smirking when Ms. Boyle first came onstage. I confess, I identified with both perspectives while watching it.

It is humbling to be reminded again that one shouldn't judge books -or people - by their covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment