Thursday, January 8, 2009

Just say -Thank You

Why is it so hard to take a compliment?

Honestly, while I am always surprised and pleased to receive one, I am also so embarrassed by compliments. My face turns red, I want to say "ah, shucks, it was nothing."

I have been working on this for years. I have not made much progress.

I still still feel compelled to explain why I don't deserve the compliment by adding things like, "oh, this? I got it on sale; or I've had it for years." I feel better when I can at least deflect the compliment by adding something like "that is so sweet of you to notice" or "how kind of you."

But when I am the person giving the compliment, I want the receiver to know it is genuine. If a clerk goes out of their way to help me, I always tell them how much I appreciate their help.

I absolutely hate it when they respond with "no problem" that seems to negate my appreciation!

Simple words but so meaningful - Thank you - You're Welcome.

1 comment: