Monday, September 21, 2009

My new neighborhood newletter

The other night, I was asked why I started http://www.glenebrookenews.com/. I used the easy answer; I wanted a place where neighbors could share ideas, get to know one another and be involved in Glenbrooke.


While those reasons are certainly valid, I also needed a sense of purpose and the ability to feel I could still contribute.


When I left my last position, it was with a sense of new adventures, travel and consulting. Those plans dissipated several months later when I suffered a stroke.I have worked very hard both physically and cognitively to recover. I had to relearn many things - including the value of numbers, how to add and subtract. I spend 2-4 hours a day on cognitive exercises- hey card games count!

While I can use the computer keyboard, I still have trouble writing and making letters. Thank goodness for spell check in computers!


I was feeling lost - I was just a consumer in society and had nothing to offer. Then my best friend, Doni Greenberg, suggested I write a blog for her website http://www.anewscafe.com/. I wrote everyday at first. As I wrote, I started to be more comfortable with my limitations. I finally felt I still might be able to do SOMETHING. Doni helped me find my voice again. Then we moved to Glenbrooke. It was very difficult to leave the community I love and the support I felt.


We didn’t know anyone in the area, let alone the neighborhood. But we quickly found people here are accepting and friendly and I now have a new community. I will always feel a connection to Redding.


The experience at anewscafe.com gave me exposure to a tool that can help build a sense of community. It is something I CAN do - on a much smaller scale. I may have to do it in tiny increments and I need a lot of help correcting errors, typos, grammar and spelling. My new friend neighbor Vickie Glaser, graciously agreed to edit the newsletter. We quickly worked out a system to post GlenbrookeNews.com weekly. Jim Gore is the technical support behind this website - without him, I would still be lost. Doni and all the writers at anewscafe.com are so supportive. I know you will come to know and love them as much as I do as we have been given permission to reprint their articles.


Is this a business? No, it’s a productive hobby. There is no way I could deal the need for advertisers, structure, or pressure of a business at this stage in my life. GlenbrookeNews.com is limited to our retirement neighborhood.


Will we charge a subscription? No, we paid the nominal fee for web hosting and no one gets paid for contributions - so there is no need for income.


Do we want to take over or be in competition with Ourglenbrooke.net? No, I needed a hobby not a job. The HOA website is just that, a HOA website for the business of HOA and is controlled by staff. Recently adopted policy limits resident’s participation and coverage of city or community events.


When Doni started http://www.anewscafe.com/ we offered to help in anyway. I had no idea the tables were turned and it was me being helped all along. Thanks everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Darce, I'm so proud of you. You've got the ruby slippers, my friend, and they look beautiful on you. xod

    ReplyDelete